Thursday, May 12, 2011

The mystery beast....

There was a creature in our backyard this morning.  An unidentifyable, mystery animal...according to Ben. We never get anything more exciting than a grasshopper (which is pretty exciting) and it's still driving me nuts to think about what it could have been, so I have to share.  Ben was ready for school and asked if he could go in the backyard for a few minutes while I finish getting ready for work, so I agreed.  A few minutes later he came back in screaming "MOOOOOMMY COME QUICK!" So I of course almost fell down the stairs I ran so fast..."there's something DEAD and REALLY YUCKY in the backyard!"  I mentally prepared myself for some nasty bloody scene, quizzing him about it as we walked out. "It's body is this big (about the size of my hand) and it's head is this big (3 inches??). He took me to the spot. Nothing but grass. 

"OH....wait, it was just here?"  Now how can something DEAD mysteriously get up and walk away? I checked and Oscar was still inside, hadn't gotten out of bed yet. So began the 30 questions to get to the bottom of this. How do you know it was dead? "It didn't move." Was it bloody? "No". (phew)  Did it have fur? "No mommy...only bears have fur silly." Well how about fur like Oscar or like a mouse, or maybe feathers? "No." Okaaaaay....did it look slimy? "Ummmm....ya. Looked slimy". Okay....now we're getting somewhere here.  Was it a frog?  "Nope, wasn't a frog."  Hmph. A lizard?  "No...definitely not a lizard." Okay even if it was, still doesn't explain where it went? Ben maybe it was just sleeping? "No...it was dead."  How do you know, did you touch it?  "No way. It was SUPER yucky."  What color was it?  "Ummmm, brown. I'd say light brown."  Did it have legs?  "No, no legs or eyes.  Just a body and a head."  WHAT?  Okay so eyes could have been closed...hence the dead.  But just a body and a head?  Ben do you know what a toad looks like? (They're kid of big blobs right?) "No....wait, yes. Maybe. I think it was a toad." We looked all around the yard and no sign of it, hmph....

I wasn't so convinced...so I googled images of toads and showed him a couple..."Ben did it look something like this?"  The response was iffy..."Uhhhhh, sure!  Ya, I think it looked like that." Mike thinks that I'm a victim of Ben's wild imagination, but I don't know...he was pretty fired up! So continues the mystery of the REALLY YUCKY mystery animal in the Hagman Backyard.  The End.

2 comments:

Holly said...

I love this one! Can't wait to hear if he/it/she resurfaces...

The Hagmans said...

It resurfaced in his dreams last night...sure enough about an hour after he went to sleep he woke up screaming and freaking out, "I SEE THE YUCKY TOADS!" Ugh...